Jens Voigt Wants to Kiss Me

When Jens Voigt crashed in yesterday’s tour stage, there was a collective gasp heard on the twittering and facebooking streams. OH NO Jens Crashed!!! No, not JENS!!

When I visited the Davis stop of the Tour of California this winter, I saw a big crowd of people over by what I thought was the Rock Racing bus. So, I wandered over to see what all the fuss was about. Well, the fuss was not about Rock Racing at all, it was for the Saxo Bank bus. Ahh, so the fuss is about the current world champ, Fabian Cancellara (Fabian wants to kiss me too by the way). But no. It was when Jens Voigt walked out and the crowd went wild (I only went a little wild, screaming something ridiculous in German to him) that I realized who the real rock star was.

And it struck me. Here in the US, where cycling is a niche sport and Lance fans are the norm, there was a crowd of fans standing in the rain outside a nondescript bus waiting for a German rider who doesn’t win the big tours.

So what was the allure? Why do we love Jens?

He’s a tough guy and lots of us fans love the tough guy. Like we used to love Johan Museeuw before he made his drug use more obvious than his hair plugs. But its something more than just being the tough guy.

Its that something inside him that makes him go hard in the front just because he can. That makes him attack just because it feels good. To make every single person in the peloton wince in pain, and then smile and giggle after the race.

I think we all just get the feeling that win, lose, job, doping scandals, television and popularity aside, he finds great joy in simply racing his bike.

Mwah!

8 Responses to “Jens Voigt Wants to Kiss Me”

Jeni July 22nd, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I was sooo sad to see him crash…it was painful to watch…he just went limp

G Dan Mitchell July 22nd, 2009 at 11:26 pm

My favorite Jens photo: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2009/02/17/jens-voigt-2009-tour-of-california

(Shot before he rode the prologue time trial in Sacrament this past February.)

Dan

Leslie Leaming July 22nd, 2009 at 11:35 pm

I was at the tour of ca stop in pasadena. The mayhem around the Astana bus was crazy… My husband and I were walking away from the scene (after we watched Levi get a drug test from doping control) and got hung up in the crowd. All of the sudden, Frank Schleck rode up. Nobody knew who he was. Poor sap… he was trying to get through the swarm of people waiting to see Lance. Nobody even gave him a second look! Gotta love American cycling fans!

lillybella July 23rd, 2009 at 1:06 am

hey I thought you’d be booking your tickets to the french hospital and using the small “concussion window” you have to fool him into thinking you’re his girlfriend! go girl NOW…go get that german boy of yours.

miss mary July 23rd, 2009 at 6:07 am

oh Jens….great write up sabine!

Dvd Player And Recorder May 20th, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Various for taking the time to discuss this, I sense strongly about this and really enjoy learning competent on this topic. If conceivable, although gain expertise, would you mind updating your interweb with considerably information? It is exceptionally outstandingly for me.

Ephesus Tours September 27th, 2010 at 5:38 pm

lovely travel agent about ephesus and virgin mary.